Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Monday May 28, 2007




It’s been a month. It’s very strange to think of how short a time that is yet how much Jenneli and I have packed into it. I’m on the train back to Ongole and looking out the window at the dry flat country side. I’m crossing my fingers that the weather has cooled in Ongole and we won’t be arriving into hell’s furnace. I’m not sick and know a lot more about what my body can and can’t handle. I’m pretty positive at this point about the next month and getting the EWB projects wrapped up. If all goes well Jenneli and I will be done and moving onto other parts of India by the end of the month.

Since it has been a month, maybe I’ll take a moment to go over my impressions of India. It’s different here, that much is obvious. You don’t see women on the back of a motor bike wearing a sari in the States. The culture is very different as well.

People are very friendly and everyone I’ve spoken with so far has been very proud of their country as well as their culture. Old as well as young go out of their way to make our time here enjoyable and fulfilling. I’m most impressed with everyone’s tolerance of the different religions in the country. I know not everyone is as there has been a bombing of a mosque in Hyderabad a week ago. Still it’s good to know that maybe places like Iraq will be able to work things out eventually.

There are a few things I have not gotten used to. I am not used to using the world as one gigantic garbage can. After growing up with the idea of a garbage can it’s hard to undo that conditioning. Jenneli still hasn’t, she’ll give me something and I’ll toss it on the ground. Mumbai is still the only place that I’ve seen actual garbage cans.

I’m not used to guys holding hands as friends. It’s a friend thing here and both women friends and male friends do it. It’s very common and is an afterthought, for example when people are walking down the road, if they are friends they often hold hands. The messed up thing is that you’ll hardly, if ever, see a guy and a girl holding hands. Strange indeed. It’s weird that a country that started Buddhism is so conservative when it comes to showing affection. I also should add that legs and shoulders are always covered here but the midriff is ok to show.

I’m not used to the head bobble. When you ask an Indian a question you will often get a head bobble as an answer. The closest thing we have to it in america is the “I have no idea what you are talking about but maybe it doesn’t matter” head gesture. It usually means “Ok”. Though it can also mean a bunch of other things depending on the exact head movement, including “No”. It’s very confusing and I’ve not mastered the meaning yet, though I have successfully done the bobble a few times.

I’m almost but not quite used to saris and punjabs. They are ubiquitous here and are of every color and pattern. Even cleaning women will wear the most beautiful sari even if it’s not in the cleanest condition. The colors can be bright or subdued, patterned or plain. It’s also strange because what Jenneli and I think is an amazing color or fabric most people here find it old fashioned. What we may see as a little tacky they find exceptional. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Everyone has a moustache. I have a full beard which is rare unless you are a Sikh. Most people have a moustache here and it’s very fashionable. Also people here are considered better looking if they are on the heavier end of the spectrum. I would say just a tad past the ideal weight. I find it nice as the women you see on TV actually look healthy instead of starved.

That will have to do. I should have posted the back log while I was in the hotel with internet on this machine (the MacBook) but I just couldn’t bring myself to do much of anything but enjoy myself in that much missed Marriott paradise.

No comments: