Friday, May 11, 2007

Hong Kong - April 29&30, 2007





Over the next few days (april 28-30) Suzanne toured us around Hong Kong and took us to the best places to eat. Suzanne had grown up in Hong Kong so she was able to show us all the places she remembered growing up. It made the big city comfortable and gave a much more neighborhood feeling to all the big buildings.

We ate at a lot of smaller local restaurants which really made us feel like we were enjoying the local flavor and not just what a tourist might experience. The food was outstanding and we ate to our fill every meal. I really liked all the hustle and bustle of the shops and eateries. At one place I had a snail looking dish that was quite possibly the best thing I’ve ever eaten. I had to get another plate of it and I’m still wishing I had went ahead with a 3rd or 4th order of it.

Jenneli spent quite a bit of time shopping and while she did that I mastered “Golf” on her phone. I’m not sure I can talk to much about shopping. They have a bunch of little stores that reminded me of a vendor market. A shopping mall might have 200 little vendors all trying to sell something a little bit different. Right before we left we bought a whole bunch of candy and it’s just now getting drained, I think we have 4 pieces left.

After living in a huge sprawl, LA, it was nice to see a city with cheap efficient mass transit. We could right the city bus for about 30 cents and a trip to the airport only cost about $10. The subway was also very reasonable and went just about everywhere.

It turns out Suzanne’s mom runs a hair salon and she offered to cut Jenneli’s hair. Jenneli took her up on the offer and got one of the best cuts she’s ever gotten.

Jenneli and I have to give another HUGE thank you to both Suzanne and her wonderful parents for making Hong Kong so enjoyable and memorable! (and for carrying all of Jenneli’s newly acquired treasures back to California)

No comments: