Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Indian Weddings are HUGE

One of Bindu’s schoolteachers was getting married and extended us an invitation! My expectations were that it would be a huge wedding, as we have heard most are, ranging from 500 - 2000 people. Being so big I thought that we could be in the back and not attract too much attention. As we arrived I noticed that it was quite big, probably close to 750 people were present. Instead of standing at the back we were quickly ushered to 3 chair at the very front! Even though this attracted quite a bit of attention the groom smiled at us and we were introduced to his brother who thanked us for being there. After about 2 minutes I guess the decision was made that we were not close enough and were invited to sit on the stage with the groom, the bride, and the wedding party!!! It was quite the experience and we were able to see it all so very close. I really hope we didn’t distract from the wedding but it was so chaotic that I think everyone involved enjoyed the ceremony fully even with us at the very front. We will never forget the experience and again want to thank Bindu, the bride, the groom, and their families for allowing us to experience it!

I would detail the wedding but the pictures do a better job of explaining what was going on. The ceremony lasted about 3 hours and involved just about everyone congratulating, giving presents to, and throwing rice at the bride and the groom. Weddings are a very joyous event and it was no different in India. They also invited us for the reception meal which had many different foods to symbolize the variety of experiences in a marriage; spicy, hot, cold, sweet, bitter, tender, etc. I'm sure there were many other symbolic things going on that I missed. Maybe I'll have a chance to see another big wedding here!

No comments: