Friday, June 15, 2007

Providing Water & Wash Stations



Jenneli took this picture of Raghu and I on the bus heading out to the villages. As always I have my precious water with me. We went out to the villages several times this week as the projects are starting to ramp up. It feels good to be working on the projects and seeing forward motion. We went to CPPP to hunt for well locations and after a couple trips and help from SDRWC we have 3 test wells being dug. We’ll know next week after we are able to test the water whether or not it will be suitable for drinking. You’ll also have to wait for the pictures of the well being dug. Trust me it’s worth it to see. (I forgot those on Jenneli’s computer)

Our relationship with SDRWC is also going very well. Joseph, the president, even let me know he reads the blog! He has been very helpful with all kinds of project related work and without his negotiation skills and reputation with the villagers I’m not sure we could get much of anything done. He also speaks great English and also has taken us out to dinner a few times which I enjoy as it gives me the opportunity to ask all the questions about India I’ve stored up.

The wash stations at SRP are also coming along. Jenneli and I visited the site with Raghu to work with the villagers on exactly where to put them. What we thought would take several hours in the heat, turned out to only take 20 minutes as the villagers had some great locations very close to where we thought they might work out! As soon as we get the go ahead from Ann Marie we can begin construction. We want to start as soon as possible as it’s the dry season right now and by the first week of July it’ll start raining and slow down everything. I should also add that this was Raghu’s village and it was a lot of fun to see his community.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cool to read about the great projects you guys are working... impressive! It must be very rewarding… as well as day after day of amazing experiences! Enjoy!!!