Friday, July 13, 2007

Pondicherry aka Pondy aka Puducherry






The morning of the 2nd we took a 4 hour bus ride to Pondicherry. It started at what's claimed to be the biggest bus station in asia, and I have to say it was HUGE. The bus ride went quick and we were pleasantly surprised at how pleasant the Pondicherry turned out to be. It was founded by the French and still had many influences including the architecture and naming. It turns out it also kept a large part of the cuisine and we enjoyed some wonderful sudo French food. Our stomachs enjoyed the bit of change and we spoiled ourselves with a bit of wine. We stayed the first night in a little ashram, which is kind of a place devoted to meditation and spirituality. The second night we spent in a more standard hotel, though there wasn’t much difference between the two except the ashram did have a wonderful garden.





The second day didn’t exactly turn out that great for me. I had great plans of showing Jenneli a wonderful little art bar/restaurant that served some fabulous French food and mojhitos. As it turned out I ended up getting a little sick. I had been fighting it for a week but the bug in my system won out and I had to take Imodium and antibiotics. I recovered but wasn’t up for too much so Jenneli went out on her own and gave me a wonderful surprise of Pizza Hut! I had wined the day before that we should get some but Jenneli wanted to try the local food, which turned out to be a great decision as we had some fantastic food. I really enjoyed the pizza hut and soda and went back to sleep. I’ll have to show her the art bar next time.

No comments: